Club Assembly with Guest Speaker
Sue introduced Leigh Redding, a local young man who has grown up in Yea in Craigie Street right by the Yea River (his backyard really) Leigh has trained in Outdoor Education and has a love of nature and is about to embark on the journey of a lifetime. Paddling his canoe from the Yea River in his backyard all the way to the mouth of the Murray River and the ocean—a journey of approx. 2300 kilometres which he expects to take about six months. Along the way, Leigh hopes to talk to, engage with and connect to schools and communities and live sustainably. He has set up a website/blog at and members can follow his journey there.
What an amazing undertaking and the club wishes Leigh every success and invited him back to speak of his travels at the end of his journey. Good luck Leigh!
Secretary: David Anderson
David reported on finding a YEA Café in Bangkok, and also a Rotary Leadership Course (RLI) to be held in Euroa on Sunday 19th April—open to all members and the club pays. Well worth doing to assist with lots of Rotary knowledge and gain an understanding of all things Rotary. Names to Sue or Ando if interested. Ando circulated a Cabrini Hospital Newsletter and the latest Rotary Magazine and also reminded members that DG Peter’s recent email about the corona virus has lots of useful tips for both Rotarians and the Club.
Community Service—Bobbie Dewar
Rail Trail bench seat protype has been created and will cost $70 per seat and be happening soon.
Community Dinner— updated last week with club fully behind the Independent Living project being further explored by Jim.
15 musical instruments were collected by Peter Holland from the RC of Seymour last week and have already been taken to Brisbane. Donations can still be made to Yea Community House. Thanks Penny Paxman.
Autumnal Ball Sat 23rd May at Yea Shire Hall, $90 pp includes food and band, BYO alcohol. All in hand. Hoping to sell 120 tickets.
Youth Service: Sandra Hanley.
Four students has become three to go to RYPEN. Ann taking students up Friday night and Sandra collecting Sunday afternoon.
Cycle Dindi—Julie Lynch.
Entries trickling in and once again Eoghan will do a sponsored ride as his contribution to the club, so be ready to sign up your contribution in the next few weeks. All the rest is in hand. Thanks to those selling raffle tickets—$400 last weekend and thanks to those who have offered support on the day (Saturday 4th April). Most spots are filled but Julie will circulate roster for members to fill any gaps.
Youth Exchange: Julie Lynch
Louis still with Gary and all is good. He has just finished up swimming with the Yea Water Tigers and is now doing footy training with the Alexandra Football Club for U/16s as no team in Yea. He is going on the District Exchange student big trip in April. May move to a new host after that trip.
Club sponsored outbound Reece Hargraves is settled in Finland, having lots of fun and really enjoyed language school which was for the few couple of weeks.
Short term exchange students Lulu, Grace and Johnnie all spoke well a few weeks back and are contributing well to community programs.
Julie mentioned past exchange student Matt Jennings from Canada. Matt has changed his name to Jet Manning and recently married Kate in a Las Vegas Rocky Horror Show themed wedding.
Art Show: Glenda Woods on behalf of Carol Hogg.
Carol had circulated the report so Glenda just mentioned the main points, notably that the Art Show made a profit of $13, 531 and sold almost $11,000 worth of paintings. Not as high as expected but still a great result for the club. Many thanks to all who had been involved in any way in making it a success.
Sue then invited Jim Osborne to speak about some issues he wished to raise.
Jim mentioned the following:
• improve TV and computer set up
• Club needs defibrillator training at least once a year
• Concern about guest speakers not being fully informed about things such as time, dress code, suggesting that Chair should be making contact with guest speakers and that club sends annual report to them prior to meeting.
• Felt the club should be presenting guests with something other than a pen and annual report—Rotary mug was suggested. Fitzy suggested certificate along with a donation to some charity—Foundation or whatever.
• Jim raised concerns about role of the Chair and how we need to be a little more flexible with timing to retain our clubs unique socialness.
President Sue took questions and said that as it was a Board meeting this coming Tuesday 17th March, members needed to email, text or ring either Sue or Secretary David with any issues they wanted raised at Board.